skip navigation

UB Summer Science Workshops

The College of Arts and Sciences is offering three preparatory summer workshops for incoming freshmen who will be taking introductory biological sciences (BIO 200), general chemistry (CHE 101/102, 105/106, 107/108), or general physics (PHY 101/102, 107/108).

These workshops include instruction on best practices for attending and utilizing lectures; preparation, participation and analysis of laboratories; and best strategies for assimilating the material presented in the lecture hall and lab in preparation for lab quizzes, lecture exams, and oral presentations.  At the end of the workshop students will receive individual assessments, specifically organized to help them succeed in their introductory course.

Biology: July 9-12, 2017

Preparation for Evolutionary Biology (BIO 200)

Dr. Jessica Poulin, Biology Professor

Introduces topics such as Mendelian genetics, modern heredity, microevolutionary forces, experimental deisgn, and phylogenetics in a real-time college level format.

Physics: July 9-12, 2017

Preparation for General Physics
(PHY 101/102/107/108)

Dr. John Cerne, Physics Professor

Presents introductory mechanics, covering vectors and accelerated motion in one and two dimensions. Explores physics problem solving strategies to help students use basic concepts to solve a large variety of problems.

Chemistry: July 13-16, 2017

Preparation for General Chemistry
(CHE 101/102/105/106/107/108)

Dr. Troy Wood, Chemistry Professor

Introduces fundamental concepts of chemistry such as atomic structure, chemical equations, and stoichiometry.

Pricing and Schedules

Biology Schedule 2017; July 9-12, $595

Physics Schedule 2017; July 9-12, $595

Chemistry Schedule 2017; July 13-16, $595

Biology & Chemistry Schedule 2017 Combined program July 9-16, $999

Physics & Chemistry Schedule 2017 Combined program July 9-16, $999

Fees include registration for the academic program, lab fees, housing, linens, and meals. Participants are required to stay in the residence hall on campus in an effort to promote study groups in the evening and encourage early friendships among their cohort.

***These workshops do not replace the UB summer orientation program for incoming freshmen.

Student Testimonials

• “It’s great preparation during one of the biggest transitions in your life.”
  • “Yes, I definitely would recommend it to other students.  It was so informative, and I feel much more confident in myself now.”
  • “It was a wake-up call!  I took 4 AP classes in high school and even that didn’t prepare me for the difficulty of the exams.”
  • “I feel so much more relaxed about coming to college.  I actually already have friends and study partners!”

To Register Click HERE

For more information please contact arts-sciences@buffalo.edu.