Scholarships and Awards
The College of Arts and Sciences, through the generosity of an alumnus, has established a fund to provide tuition and fees for one year to two students in good standing who have financial need.
- Applicants must be enrolled in a course of study (major or minor) within the College of Arts and Sciences. Preference will be given to College of Arts and Sciences majors.
- Applicants must be a resident of one of the 8 counties (Allegany, Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Erie, Genesee, Niagara, Orleans, Wyoming) in the Buffalo/Western New York region. The optimal candidate will be one who grew up in Western New York and plans to remain in Western New York after graduation to give back to the community. A copy of the applicant’s high school diploma is requested.
- Applicants must demonstrate that they require critical financial support in order to complete their degrees at UB. (This should be part of the applicant’s narrative.)
- Preference will be given to students who have been working, at least part-time, to fund their education at UB.
- Awardees will be required to write a thank-you note to the donor, indicating how the award has helped them be successful at UB. Awardees may be asked to meet with the donor or have a telephone conversation with him. Furthermore, awardees will be expected to meet with the Associate Dean for Undergraduate Education in the College of Arts and Sciences at least once after the award is made to discuss their academic progress, and are required to send a report regarding immediate and future plans to the Associate Dean upon graduation.
The application must include all of the following:
- The application form. DOWNLOAD THE APPLICATION FORM
- A copy of the applicant’s high school diploma.
- A narrative of the applicant’s time at UB, including a description of their current financial situation, their work history, and future plans. The narrative should indicate how the funds will allow the student to successfully graduate from UB. (500 words max.)
- A copy of the applicant’s up-to-date, fully expanded Academic Advising Report.
- A letter of support from an advisor or faculty member.
Submission Deadline: September 15 of each year
Please submit the completed application, including letter of support, as a Word document or in PDF form to: email@example.com
For questions, please contact:
Associate Dean for Undergraduate Education
Chair, CAS Undergraduate Awards Committee
College of Arts and Sciences
University at Buffalo
CHECKLIST FOR APPLICATION:
- Application form: ______________________
- Copy of high school diploma: _____________
- Narrative: ____________________________
- AAR: ________________________________
- Letter of Support: ______________________