UB Summer Science Workshops
Biological Sciences Workshop
We are very excited that you have signed up for the Summer 2017 Basic Training in Biological Sciences workshop! We believe this program helps ease the transition to college while providing you with the resources necessary to succeed in BIO 200 this fall. The skills we’ll work on will likely help in many of your college classes.
ARRIVAL: Check-in will take place at 123 Richmond Quadrangle in the Ellicott Complex on the North Campus from 12:00 – 3:00 PM on Sunday, July 9th – enter “Richmond Quadrangle” (without numbers) into the Interactive Map for directions. Staff from the program will be facilitating room assignments, keys, bedding, and dining card distribution. Sheets, pillows, towels, and blankets will be provided. Transport from the Buffalo Niagara International Airport is by Taxi only. The main airport taxi company is Buffalo Airport Taxi (http://buffaloairporttaxi.com/, 1-800-551-9369). The campus is only 10 minutes from the airport.
EARLY OR LATE ARRIVAL: If it is necessary for you to arrive at a different day or time, please notify Caitlin Hoekstra (firstname.lastname@example.org or 716-645-2711) by June 16th so that we can make special arrangements for you. The Ellicott Area office in 123 Richmond Hall will be open from 8:30am until midnight. If you arrive when the office is closed, please call 716-645-2011 to reach the residence hall staff member on duty.
SCHEDULE: Biology Schedule 2017
BEFORE YOU ARRIVE:
1) You must activate your UBIT account before you arrive in order to access your HUB Student Center and UBLearns. Please follow the directions carefully on this website and let us know if you have any trouble accessing the HUB Student Center before you arrive: http://www.buffalo.edu/ubit/service-guides/accounts/your-ubitname-account/getting-started-with-your-account/activate/undergraduate.html
2) Below are pdfs of the three biology labs you will be completing while here and a set of slides for the first lectures you will go to while in the program. Please print these out, read the labs in advance, and bring all of them with you to campus.
WHAT TO BRING: This preparatory program is a casual experience. Casual clothes are acceptable for all events, including the group presentations. In addition to clothes, you will need to bring the following:
- Laptop (if you have one, residence halls have wifi and internet research will be useful for your group presentations)
- Notebook for notes – both lecture and lab
- Pens, pencils
- A travel mug or water bottle
- A personal fan (residence hall rooms are not air conditioned)
You should also bring things for your own personal comfort. We’ll provide all meals, but as dinner is at 5:30 each day snacks (or pizza money) for evening studying might be helpful. There are also establishments on campus that sell coffee and tea.
CHECK-OUT: Check-out (returning keys, bedding, and dining cards) will take place around 5 PM on Wednesday, July 12th. The program should end by 4 PM, giving students time to return to the residence hall, gather their things, and return college property. Transport to the airport will again be by taxi. Students leaving campus at similar times may want to share a cab.
CONTACT INFORMATION: We can be reached by email for questions before and during the program.
Program Coordinator: Caitlin Hoekstra – email@example.com, 716-645-2711
Dr. Jessica Poulin – firstname.lastname@example.org